YOKNEAM, Israel, Oct. 17, 2017 /PRNewswire/ -- Lumenis Ltd., the world's largest energy-based medical device company for surgical, aesthetic and ophthalmic applications, announced today that it will share new clinical data on its CO2 laser-based FiberLase™ for minimally-invasive treatment of endometriosis at the European Society for Gynecological Endoscopy (ESGE) 26th Annual Congress, October 18- 21 at the Sueno Hotel Belek & Convention Center in Antalya, Turkey.
Endometriosis is a disease that affects roughly 10% of the world's female population. While the etiology of the disease is still unclear, treatment options exist and vary between symptomatic ease, hormonal supplements and hysterectomy when fertility is no longer of concern. Approximately 85% of endometriosis patients are diagnosed with ovarian endometriosis; these cases require delicate and precise treatment options to preserve fertility.
Lumenis has collaborated with leading surgeons worldwide to develop an advanced surgical CO2 FiberLase™ laser procedure, which has been demonstrated to remove endometriosis lesions very delicately and precisely without harming the ovarian reserve. Recent studies1-6 show the treatment results in fast recovery time, less inflammation and pain, low risk of infection and low rate of side effects such as surgery-related adhesions. Patients experience immediate improvement in their quality of life, higher rates of fertility preservation and lower disease recurrence rates compared to RF technology.
At the ESGE Annual Congress, Lumenis will highlight its innovations in treating endometriosis, including the advanced surgical CO2 lasers, UltraPulse® DUO and AcuPulse™ DUO. These laser systems utilize both Free Beam laser delivery and the flexible FiberLase™ fiber, designed to operate precisely around delicate pelvic anatomy with minimal thermal damage while keeping healthy tissue intact, significantly improving symptoms and quality of life while helping to preserve and protect fertility.
Lumenis will host an industry symposium and share the results of the recent study on the efficacy of the AcuPulse™ DUO for removal of endometrial tissue around the ovaries while preserving ovarian antral follicle count and anti-Müllerian hormone, both necessary for fertility. Authors Prof. Massimo Candiani and Dr. Jessica Ottolina, and their colleagues will present results of the study titled, "Positive Effects on Ovarian Reserve When Using CO2 Laser Vaporization Versus Cystectomy for the Treatment of Ovarian Endometrioma: A Prospective Randomized Clinical Trial."
The study's author, Prof. Massimo Candiani, Director of Obstetrics and Gynecology at the San Raffaele Hospital in Milan, said, "I consider the CO2 laser a valuable tool in the treatment of pelvic and ovarian endometriosis, where I can easily use it for excision and vaporization. When using the CO2 laser, I can achieve precision and safety and, most importantly, preservation of the ovarian functionality."
"At Lumenis, we take great pride in our company's commitment and continuous innovation in women's health technology," said Lumenis CEO Tzipi Ozer-Armon. "We are very excited to share the clinical and technological advances with our partners and colleagues at the ESGE Annual Congress."
During the ESGE Annual Congress, attendees can visit Lumenis at booth #20 to gain hands-on experience with the Lumenis CO2 laser solutions and attend the company's range of engaging symposia and presentations:
- Scientific session: "Positive Effects on Ovarian Reserve When Using CO2 Laser Vaporization Versus Cystectomy for the Treatment of Ovarian Endometrioma: A Prospective Randomized Clinical Trial," Prof. Massimo Candiani and Dr. Jessica Ottolina. Session type: "best selected abstracts 2" 19 October, 08:30 a.m. - 10:30 a.m., 2 Hall Orkide 2
- Symposium: "Benefits of CO2 Laser in the Treatment of Endometriosis," Panel members:Prof. Michelle Nisolle, Prof. Massimo Candiani, Dr. Yücel Karaman, Prof. Okolo, Dr. Mariona Rius , Dr. Jessica Ottolina and Dr. Lotfi , who will present two procedures using CO2 FiberLase fiber. The colleagues will have a panel discussion on the benefits of the treatment protocol. 19 October, 10:30 a.m. - 11:30 a.m., 2 Hall Orkide 2
- Scientific session: "Spontaneous Pregnancy Rates Following a Laparoscopic CO2 Laser Surgery for Endometriosis," Dr. Yücel Karaman. Session type: "Free Communication l Laparoscopic Surgery", 20 October, 10:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m., 4 Hall Kardelen 2. Free Communication l Laparoscopic SurgeryLumenis Advisory Board Meeting: "Consensus on The Gold Standard of Treatment for Endometriosis"
Lumenis will also introduce attendees to www.gynhealth.com, a website created by the company to educate endometriosis patients and their families on the disease and its surgical treatment options.
Lumenis is the world's largest energy-based medical device company for surgical, aesthetic and ophthalmic applications in the area of minimally invasive clinical solutions. Regarded as a world-renowned expert in developing and commercializing innovative energy-based technologies, including Laser, Intense Pulsed Light (IPL) and Radio-Frequency (RF). For nearly 50 years, Lumenis' ground-breaking products have redefined medical treatments and have set numerous technological and clinical gold-standards. Lumenis has successfully created solutions for previously untreatable conditions, as well as designed advanced technologies that have revolutionized existing treatment methods. www.lumenis.com
- Adelman MR, Tsai LJ, Tangchitnob EP, Kahn BS, 2013.J Obstet Gynaecol,33(3): 225-31
- Wang Z, Chocat N, 2010. Curr Pharm Biotechno, 11(4):384-97.
- Bailey AP, Lancerotto L, Gridley C, Orgill DP, Nguyen H, Pescarini E, Lago G, Gargiulo AR, 2014. J Minim Invasive Gynecol, 21(6):1103-9
- Schipper E, Nezhat C, 2012. Int J Womens Health ;4:383- 93
- Tsolakidis D, Pados G, Vavilis D, Athanatos D, Tsalikis T, Giannakou A, Tarlatzis BC, 2010. Fertil Steril, 94(1):71-7
- Meuleman C, D'Hoore A, Van Cleynenbreugel B, Beks N, D'Hooghe T, 2009. Reprod Biomed Online ;18(2):282-9
Kara Stephens, Pascale Communications
SOURCE Lumenis Ltd