Offering commercial-duty features more common to heavy-duty trucks, Allison Transmission has begun production of 1000 Series™ and 2000 Series™ fully automatic transmissions specifically designed for Chevrolet’s highly-anticipated Silverado 4500HD/5500HD/6500HD medium-duty trucks.
This press release features multimedia. View the full release here: https://www.businesswire.com/news/home/20181022005885/en/
Allison Automatics in Chevrolet Silverado’s new 4500HD/5500HD/6500HD medium-duty trucks will be paired with the reliable Duramax diesel engine – a legendary combination that has powered nearly two million trucks. (Photo: Chevrolet)
With proven durability and reliability in the medium-duty commercial truck segment, Allison Automatics will be paired with Chevrolet’s Duramax diesel engine—a legendary combination that has powered nearly two million trucks.
Among standard and available Allison transmission features in Silverado chassis cab trucks:
- Power Take-Off (PTO) option enables users to run power auxiliary equipment such as tow truck winches, hydraulic tools, dump truck bodies, water pumps, garbage truck compactors and bucket trucks
- Close-ratio six-speeds, with double overdrive, to climb challenging terrain and maximize fuel economy
- Available motorhome and emergency vehicle transmission applications. Allison Automatics allow rescue vehicles to get up to speed faster and ease the integration of body and pumping equipment
- Allison’s patented Continuous Power Technology™ delivers smooth, seamless, full-power shifts, as well as superior acceleration in the Silverado
- Ideal integration with the Chevrolet’s Duramax 6.6L Turbo-Diesel V8. Under a collaborative engineering effort, the Allison 1000/2000 Series™ transmissions have been optimized to take advantage of the Duramax’s stout 350 hp and 700 lb-ft of torque
- Allison FuelSense® electronic controls for increased fuel economy and Dynamic Shift Sensing could be available for future releases
Allison Automatics provide the greatest value in the market by combining enhanced performance and fuel economy, greater operational flexibility, and improved driver comfort and control with industry-leading reputation for uptime and reliability. That’s on top of some of the highest resale values in the business for Chevrolet trucks.
“Designed for high performance and low maintenance, the 1000 Series and 2000 Series transmissions matched with Chevrolet’s Duramax diesel engines are an ideal combination, providing the precise power delivery and superior productivity commercial customers demand,” said Heidi Schutte, vice president, global sales at Allison Transmission. “Chevrolet and Allison engineers worked closely to provide the optimal integration.”
The Allison-equipped Chevrolet Silverado medium duty trucks are rated at up to 22,900 lbs GVWR and can be upfitted for urban delivery, construction, landscaping, emergency and numerous other commercial applications. Truck production is expected to begin in late 2018.
“The truck line and powertrain have generated a great deal of customer anticipation and fill a gap in the medium-duty space,” said Tony Uebelhor, owner of Uebelhor & Sons Chevrolet in Jasper, Ind. “It’s a very durable, heavy-duty transmission that will do the job in any commercial environment.”
Allison transmissions have helped drive Chevrolet’s hardest-working trucks since the 1950s.
“As a company, we are dedicated to engineering and manufacturing the most productive and reliable transmissions that improve the way our customers work,” said Schutte.
About Allison Transmission
Allison Transmission (NYSE: ALSN) is the world’s largest manufacturer of fully automatic transmissions for medium- and heavy-duty commercial vehicles and is a leader in electric hybrid-propulsion systems for city buses. Allison transmissions are used in a variety of applications including refuse, construction, fire, distribution, bus, motorhomes, defense and energy. Founded in 1915, the company is headquartered in Indianapolis, Indiana, USA and employs approximately 2,700 people worldwide. With a market presence in more than 80 countries, Allison has regional headquarters in the Netherlands, China and Brazil with manufacturing facilities in the U.S., Hungary and India. Allison also has approximately 1,400 independent distributor and dealer locations worldwide. For more information, visit allisontransmission.com.
Corporate Affairs & Communications, 317-242-5000